For this episode of the Bay to Bay Podcast we welcome Cory Ybarra as our guest, to talk about her work with Building for Generations. Building for Generations is a non-profit that Cory started when she saw a need in a far-off Tanzania in 2005. Their mission is to support education projects with a focus on persons with special needs by building facilities and providing materials with a goal of creating sustainable programs. This work is especially meaningful for Cory, as she is the mother of a special-needs son.
In our conversation, we talked about a number of topics,
- Some of the biggest challenges raising a special-needs child.
- The special joys that come with having a special-needs child
- Her early professional life
- What Building for Generations is all about
- How Building for Generations got its start
- How Building for Generations got its name
- Their ongoing programs in Tanzania and Peru
- The challenges running a non-profit
- How to work effectively in such far-flung places
- Finding volunteers to help serve on the board and with the projects
- The biggest challenges with fundraising